Monday, July 12, 2010

Winners never quit.

Poppy had a mantra. He drilled it into me as a kid. "Quitters never win and winners never quit." I've always known what it meant but never with more clarity than yesterday.
MacLaren knew it was Poppy's 70th birthday. Mackie and I know Poppy watches us from Heaven. He was psyching himself up all week for the Oakville triathlon. I have to be honest and say that I was consumed with great expectations and probably contributed more anxiety than I should have with pre-race discussion. All week, Mackie was practicing his stroke at the pool. He has been swimming better and faster than ever. He has also been keeping up on the bike. Watching the Canadian, Ryder Hesjedal climb the ranks in the Tour de France has been inspirational. Mackie loves watching the peloton chase down a breakaway. More than once this week he commented on how beautiful it was and how he could ride like that. Mackie was also excited that his friend Ondrej from Beavers was joining him in this triathlon. This was going to be Ondrej's first race and Mackie was excited to show him the ropes. By coincidence their race numbers were 151 and 152 so they would line up right next to each other at the start of the race. We were convinced that this was going to be his best race ever.
We should have seen some omen on Saturday morning of what challenges were to come. I left my car keys in Mom's car and when it was time to go pick up the race kits in Oakville on Saturday morning, Mommy was already out in her car at a running event. Mackie and I hopped on our bikes for the 30 kilometre ride to Oakville to get registered. We met up with Ondrej and his Mom and they thankfully gave us a ride back home. Saturday afternoon and evening were also very busy; all afternoon at the pool then another swim with our friends in the evening. With all the excitement we didn't get to sleep till late at night. We got up bright and early on Sunday and despite the short sleep Mackie was able to muster up energy and enthusiasm for racing. We got to the course at Appleby College and set up Mackie's gear in the transition zone. When we met up with Ondrej we did an extra dry run through transition to practice and found that somebody had moved Mackie's bike. We set it back up ready for him to grab his helmet, shoes, and sunglasses quickly before setting out on his bike. We were feeling good and happy to see Ondrej and other familiar faces. However, while waiting for Mackie's wave to start Mackie discovered he had developed a blister on his foot. He was still optimistic that he could persevere.
Mackie and Ondrej had great swims. Ondrej managed the full length of the pool without stopping; a first time feat for him. Mackie swam like he had all week and got out of the pool a close second place and well ahead of the field. Mackie charged out to transition and donned his gear quicker than ever.
As Mackie was mounting his bike it became apparent that something was wrong. I was snapping pictures and cheering, "Way to go Mackie!! You are in first place! Go fast, go fast on your bike! You're doing great!"
Mackie struggled to get his bike going he was about 75 metres down the track when he turned to look back at me and said, "I'm trying but the brakes aren't working!" He had tears in his eyes and a crack in his tiny voice.
The 1.5 kilometre bicycle leg of the race was two times around the main campus of Appleby College. As Mackie disappeared behind the buildings to complete his first lap my heart sank. I hoped he was okay. Should I have run after him? Are the volunteers around the course helping him? What could be wrong with his bike? The next seven minutes were gut-wrenching. I watched for Mackie to ride past hoping I would be able to see what was troubling him. When he came around to start his second lap I saw it. His handlebars had been twisted around and the brake cable tangled around them so that the brake was permanently engaged. Mackie was red-faced with tears and gasping, "I wanted to get first place for Poppy", he wept as I ran on to the course. "I know, I know! You're doing it!" was all I could think to say as I untangled his bike. "Don't worry you're doing great!" I called as he rode of at speed to round the course a second time. Minutes later Mackie pulled around to drop his bike and start the run. He was still crying and his frustration was contagious for Mama and me. We ran along side of him for the beginning of the run; giving him encouragement and trying to relieve his heartache. Mackie fell to the ground about 15 metres from me. I didn't say a word. He got up and continued. I yelled, "Way to go Mackie! you're a winner!" Mackie kept going and crossed the finish line with tears rolling down his cheeks. He fell into my arms and cried.
"Mackie, I love you so much!" I'd have done anything to change the circumstances.
"Don't worry you did great. I think that was your best race ever!" We tried to console him. As we took pictures of him and his friends with their medals Mackie strained to smile. It took about 20 minutes for him to regain any composure. I ache for him.
Turns out Mackie's time was better than average but he did not place as high as he had hoped among the 200 or so competitors. Mackie has become accustomed to finishing top ten and despite a respectable 13 minute 46 second time he was not at the top...except probably in Poppy's and my book. Mackie is not a quitter. He tried harder than I have ever seen him try. We talked about it later as we relaxed by the pool in the afternoon. I told him how proud Poppy would be that even though he had all those things go wrong he controlled the outcome by refusing to quit. "Quitters never win..." I said.
"and Winners never quit." Mackie replied.

No comments:

Post a Comment