Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Domestiques


The domestiques in the Tour de France are the riders on the team that do all the work. They shuffle back and forth from the team car with food and water for the other riders on the team. They ride in front when there is a headwind and create a draft for the other riders. Up until yesterday, I was this team's domestique. I am towing about 100 pounds of gear and clothing.
Mackie became super domestique. I have been stricken with a pretty severe dehydration. I am exhausted and nearly had to abandon the ride. Mackie paced me through the day making a draft for me. He stood guard when I had to make emergency pit stops at the public restrooms. He is a trooper.
The ride route was the best we've had so far. The path along the 1000 Islands Parkway is a joy to ride. We made Brockville at about 1:00 even though we started late. Pushing on we went through Maitland, Prescott, Cardinal, and Iroquois on our way along the St. Lawrence Seaway. We finally had to sprint the last 12 kilometers because a lightening storm was racing us to our destination in Morrisburg. Mackie took off at a blistering pace. He finished the last 12 k in 25 minutes with me 200 metres behind him. Final stats were 112.98 kilometers at average 16.31 kph, maximum 34.20 kph in 6 hours, 55 minutes, 33 seconds. Further and faster than yesterday. Will we get to Mamo's today? Look out George Hincapie!

3 comments:

  1. You are doing great Mackie - you sure do have lots of great bike stories, and more to come I am sure. Hugs all around

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo everyone! Jeff, I told you to stay safe -- guys never listen to their mothers! Have had a collect call on my message machine -- hope it is good news not bad. Best to all of you -- I'm so proud. Love always, Mamo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey team TO!
    Can't wait to see you in Montreal. Sure sounds like an awesome adventure. Keep it up Mackie! Aidan and Mamo's pool are just waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete