Monday, June 28, 2010

Everybody has a bicycle story


Everybody has a bicycle story. I've got lots. My parents gave me a mountain bike for my 21st birthday and when I was 24 I flew to my grandma's house in Vancouver and rode back to Montreal. The trip from Toronto to Montreal took me 3 days then. What a difference 18 years makes!
Michelle has the saddest bike story. She got a new bike as a surprise from her parents as a 13 year old child in St. John's, Newfoundland. She proudly rode it with her older cousins into town to a bookstore and hours after getting it some depraved hooligans stole the bike and threw it into the bay. It was never recovered nor replaced. The first time she told me this story I wept, makes my soul bleed fire.
Mamo's first new bike still hangs in her basement. She hasn't ridden that bike since before I was born but it must hold some memories.
MacLaren already has some phenomenal bike stories. Yesterday he completed his second metric century in three days. What a feat! We rode 112.92 kilometers in 7 hours, 24 minutes, and 44 seconds. Mackie's top speed today was 33.48 kph. He averaged 15.23 kph! His odometer now reads 1056 kilometers since he started training for this ride. We successfully outran a raging rainstorm. Thank-you to my cousin Brenda Moore and Faye who came out to Highway 2 in Kingston to cheer us on. We ate Vietnamese food in downtown Kingston then carried on. At 7:30 pm we checked in to an Inn in Gananoque, had a swim in the outdoor pool, and while we were comfortably watching Germany stomp England in World cup soccer on the tele, the rain came. Hopefully the all night rain has emptied those clouds. Thank- you for the great comments. Please keep them coming as we share them with Mac and he thrives on knowing you are cheering for him. Today we'll make new stories.

6 comments:

  1. Guys keep up the incredible work and enjoy every second of your adventure. Connor is keeping updated on your journey. Stay safe and we love the updated on average speed time, top speed. I can't wait to see Mar in the Tour de France!!

    Jeff and Connor Russo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe how great you are doing. Hope the weather co-operates for the rest of the journey. Don't think you are getting me comments however I'll keep trying to send then and hope. Stay safe. Love always, Mamo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go MacLaren!...don't leave your mom too far behind. I'm impressed. It inspires me to get my daughter out on her bike more. Stay safe.
    Patrick (from Inergi)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Mac Go!!!!!! We haven't met yet but I'm VERY VERY proud of you. You are an inspiration to all of us who have wanted to try something like this out but just never did. Maybe now I will.
    Keep going we are all cheering you on!
    Good luck and stay safe everyone.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mac, you are the best! I can't wait to tell my girls about all of the amazing things you do. They will think it's so great! Keep it up - you are marvellous!

    ReplyDelete